What do you need to provide in order to transfer a domain ?
Many customers had contacted us to understand what need to be done in order to transfer their domain over to us. There are also many who come to us and request for transfer of domain over to us only after their domain had expired, resulting in them feeling disappointed to know that it is not possible.
So, what exactly you need to know before you decide to transfer your domain ?
The domain had not expired. Domain transfer can be done at least 2 weeks before expiry date.
Of course, if you can plan the transfer earlier than that it is even better! This is to avoid any unforeseen complication or delay during the transfer process. Do not try to wait until the last week before your domain expire as it creates unnecessary risk for your domain.
Why is that so? A domain goes into REGISTER-HOLD status approximately 10 (ten) days before the expiry date. At this stage you MUST renew the domain with your original registrar. We won’t be able to initiate your domain transfer to us as it is beyond our control.
Also, If you had just recently registered or transferred your domain name, please wait 60 days before applying for transfer.
My domain had not expired and I want to transfer to you. What should I provide?
- Get the Domain Authorization Code (EPP code) from your current registrar.
- Ensure that your domain is NOT locked.
- The domain administrative email must be your email.
(This is because once we initiate transfer, an approval email will be sent to you and you MUST click on the approval link.)
So does that mean that if I pay the fee, and Serverfreak had initiate transfer, my domain transfer to ServerFreak is already successful?
NO, you need to go through a few things as indicated below before your domain transfer can be successful:
- Once we receive your payment, we will submit your domain transfer request to our domain registrar .
- You will receive a domain transfer authorization email through the administrative email contact of your domain name.
- You will have to follow the instructions given in the domain transfer authorization email to authorize your domain name to be transferred to us (ServerFreak).
- Your current domain provider may send you another email on your domain transfer confirmation and you will need to follow the instructions given in the confirmation email.
- You will have to wait for your current registrar to release your domain name to us (ServerFreak). It will normally take 5 – 7 days for your domain to be successfully transferred.
Under what situation / circumstances my domain transfer can fail?
- You must reply to your registrar’s confirmation email within 48 hours. Your registrar will send you a confirmation email to confirm your intention to transfer your domain.It will be sent to the email address listed as the Administrative Contact of your domain. Your transfer request will be rejected by your registrar if you fail to reply to their email promptly
- If you approve domain transfer verification email but your domain name is locked or suspended for non-payment at your current registrar end , then the transfer fails.
- Your current registrar sends you a second approval email usually asking you to cancel the transfer. If you cancel then the transfer fails. If you ignore then the transfer will be completed within 5-7 days according.
- Your domain is required to be with the current registrar for at least 60 days. If you have just registered or transferred your domain within the last 60 days, your transfer request will not be accepted.
- Your domain cannot have an expired status. You are no longer the legitimate owner of your domain once it is expired. You must renew your domain with your registrar before sending us your transfer order.